In this episode, we begin a 2-part interview with Don Morin, founder of the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet. I’ll tell you more about him and what that is in the official introduction to the interview, but if you’ve ever wondered how someone goes from fan to creator of a fan convention, or how those are put together, you’re definitely going to want to stick around for this.
Before we begin, I have a special request. For the D23 Expo in August, there were a flood of new media applications, and Disney seriously tightened the availability of the credentials. So, for whatever reason, I didn’t get approved for a media credential. Really, all I needed it for 2 years ago was admission, I didn’t do much—and didn’t provide anything for you, the listeners—that required it. I expect the same would be true this year.
What that means is, if you’d like to hear reports, see pictures and video, and more with a Stories of the Magic twist, I need your help to go! All I really need is about $100. I can handle the rest. If you can help at all, please PayPal me whatever you’re willing and able to support me with using firstname.lastname@example.org as the receiving address. For everyone who contributes, I will publicly thank you on the show, and if you have something special you’d like to see coverage of, I’ll do my best to fulfill your request!
In this episode, Don talks about…
- How he became interested in Disney;
- Why he created the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet;
- How he created it;
- The PNW Mouse Meet’s first keynote speaker—she’s a recent Stories of the Magic guest;
- Building it year after year;
- What makes the Mouse Meet unique among conventions;
- Some of the games they play;
- Whether he had any trouble getting the first guests;
- Who he’s wanted to have as a guest and didn’t think it would happen, but they asked anyway and got a yes;
- Spending time with the featured guests outside of the Meet;
- Dream guests that he hasn’t got yet;
- What Disney thinks of Don and the PNW Mouse Meet.
Find Don & the PNW Mouse Meet:
A Day at Disneyland with Alice Davis (sent by Brian Levine)
I want to hear from you, so please email me, leave a comment below, or call the Listener Feedback line at (734) 23-STORY.
If you call in, don’t worry about having to sound perfect. If you ask me to, I’ll edit out any mistakes so you sound as good as you possibly can. You’re even welcome to start your entire story over again and I’ll use the “take” you want! If you want to submit a story anonymously, for whatever reason you may have, email it to me and tell you me you wanted it shared that way. I’ll read it on the podcast, but keep your name private.
Thanks for listening!
Music and voiceovers provided by Rick Moyer.
Some product links in this post are affiliate links.