In this episode we continue our 3-part interview with Joe Cosgrove, author of Walt Dreamers Me, conducted in person in the Club 1901 Lounge at Disney California Adventure. Last time we talked about what made Disney such a profound influence on his early life, as well as some other key individuals and events that shaped him, connected him, and positioned him for a pretty amazing journey. This time we’re diving right back in where we left off and discussing Walt applying his beliefs—not just his religious faith, but also the other things he believed in—and pretty much the entire episode is about Walt.
Even though Christmas is past, you may have some extra money—or more likely, money you got as a gift. So I’ve decided to extend the offer I made before Christmas. For a limited time, you can get an autographed copy of Faith and the Magic Kingdom for $17, of Once Upon YOUR Time, my first book, for $6, or of both for $20! For more details or to order, go to storiesofthemagic.com/christmas14.If you’re looking for something that will help you get 2015 off to a great start and make it one of your best years yet, these books are for you!
In this episode Joe talks about:
- Walt’s beginning with the Alice Comedies and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and the creation of Mickey Mouse;
- How Walt (and Mickey) saved many companies from bankruptcy;
- Walt’s political leanings and some politicians he was friends with—including his role in Ronald Reagan becoming President of the United States;
- Joshua Meador;
- The genesis, development, and premiere of Snow White;
- Mary Poppins;
- A great story about Walt Disney former Mouseketeer Jimmie Dodd shared with Joe;
- Stories about Walt and Disneyland, including quite a bit about Candlelight Processional.
I want to hear from you, so please email me, leave a comment below, or call the Listener Feedback line at (734) 23-STORY.
If you call in, don’t worry about having to sound perfect. If you ask me to, I’ll edit out any mistakes so you sound as good as you possibly can. You’re even welcome to start your entire story over again and I’ll use the “take” you want! If you want to submit a story anonymously, for whatever reason you may have, email it to me and tell you me you wanted it shared that way. I’ll read it on the podcast, but keep your name private.
Thanks for listening!
Music and voiceovers provided by Rick Moyer.
All product links are affiliate links.